Young Science Ambassadors awarded

4 Jun 2012

Three UQDI researchers have recently received an Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering Young Science Ambassador (ATSE) award.

The ATSE awards are given to only 20 research students per year, and application is based on scientific merit, community engagement and education. Katelin Haynes, Jana McCaskill and Dimeng Pang have all been named as awardees.

ATSE awardees play a vital role in helping deliver the ATSE Wonder of Science program to rural, remote and indigenous schools, particularly in northern Queensland. The program is aimed at building passion and enthusiasm for science and technology in Queensland’s young people, and inspiring and developing the love of science.

Each of the researchers is thrilled with the outcome.

“The award is going to be really helpful in developing my community engagement skills and also provides the opportunity to talk to primary school students about science, which is a new area for me.” Katelin says.

“And it's a great opportunity to bring science education to remote schools in Queensland.”

Jana agrees. “I applied for the program because of the opportunity it presented to teach and promote science to younger science students. I have always admired the work ATSE has conducted in promoting science in schools and the community and this was my chance to be involved.”

Katelin, Jana and Dimeng will all travel to two day-long activities to be held at James Cook University in Townsville in July and September 2012, and will assist schools to undertake research projects in science during the intervening 8 week period.